Health Information Specialist
- Full Time 40 hours/week/days
- Flexible schedule
- Starting between $16.98 and $21.05
The Health Information Specialist/Privacy Officer is responsible for managing theClinical Records Department and all functions necessary to provide accurate clinical records as a legal document which are in compliance with industry and federal/state regulations. The Health Information Specialist/Privacy Officer oversees all ongoing activities related to development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to Valley Senior Living’ policies and procedures covering the privacy of, and access to, patient health information in compliance with federal/state regulations. Position will also provide assistance/support to the Admissions/Nursing Department staffto complete day-to-day operational functions/tasks, special projects and assignments in accordance with direction from the Quality Coordinator and/or Director of Nursing.
As a valued care partner, the Health Information Specialist/Privacy Officer is committed to supporting the mission, vision, and values of the Valley Senior Living and will honor the importance of person-centered care.
· High school graduate or GED.
· Experience with computer and keyboarding/data entry skills.
· Long term care or healthcare experience in maintaining clinical records.
· Knowledge of documentation and legal issues.
· Knowledge of regulations, accreditation and professional standards of practice for health information in long‑term care.
The essential functions of the job are based on the duties the person who holds the position will be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodations.
· Initiate and complete appropriate data in Point Click Care (Electronic Health Record software) effectively and accurately. Update resident information or changes according to Valley Senior Living’ established guidelines.
· Coordinate patient information for all caregivers, staff, insurance companies and patients according to Valley Senior Living policies and procedures.
· Maintain security of health information systems and medical records. Assure physical protection is in place to prevent loss, destruction, and unauthorized use of both manual and electronic records.
· Manage the release of information functions of the facility including review and processing of all requests for information. Maintain facility policies and standards of practice to assure release of information requests are appropriate and meet legal standards. Track occurrences for reporting.
· Maintain and provide storage and retrieval of skilled facility active and inactive medical records.
· Maintain record retention and destruction program with secondary record system of indices and register as needed by facility.
· Complete an annual purge of old records from the medical records vault
· Maintain a forms management system for development, review, and reproduction of facility forms. Retains a master forms manual.
· Coordinate with multiple vendors for inventory of forms and other specialty charting supplies.
· Work cooperatively with other organizations in overseeing resident rights to inspect, amend, and restrict access to protected health information when appropriate.
· Review all system-related information security plans throughout Valley Senior Living’ network to ensure alignment between security and privacy practices.
· Cooperate with the Office of Civil Rights, other legal entities, and organization officers in compliance reviews or investigations.
· Provide technical and administrative assistance for any health information service functions.
· Initiate, route, and update Medicare certification/recertification forms.
· Participate in Credentialing of Medical Staff. Correspondence and communication with potential physicians following a credentialing process delineated by medical staff bylaws and regulations.
· Update, review, and validate credentials in the continuous reappointment/reappraisal process with assembly of a master directory.
· Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal and state privacy laws and monitors advancements in information privacy technology to ensure adaptation and compliance.
· Provide development guidance and assists in the identification, implementation and maintenance of organization information, privacy policies and procedures in coordination with Valley Senior Living’ management, administration HIPAA Privacy Committee and legal counsel.
· Serve as information privacy officer to Valley Senior Living on Columbia for all departments and appropriate entities while in collaboration with other privacy officers at other facilities.
· Perform initial and periodic information privacy risk assessment and conducts related ongoing compliance monitoring activities in coordination with Valley Senior Living on Columbia’s compliance and operational assessment functions.
· Establish and administers a process for receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating, and taking action on all complaints concerning the organization’s privacy policies and procedures in coordination and collaboration with other similar functions and , when necessary, legal counsel.
· Initiate, facilitate, and promote activities to foster information privacy awareness with the organization and related entities.
· Participate with ongoing compliance monitoring of partner and business associate agreement, to ensure all privacy concerns, requirements and responsibilities are addressed.
· Work with management, key departments and committees to ensure Valley Senior Living has and maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consent and authorization forms, information notices, and material reflecting current organization and legal practices and requirements.
- Valley Senior Living on Columbia
- 2900 14th Ave S.
- Valley Senior Living on 42nd (Woodside Village, Wheatland Terrace, Town Square)
- 4000 24th Ave S
- Valley Senior Living on Cherry (Tufte Manor)
- 3300 Cherry Street
If you have any questions, please contact Karli at 701.787.7829.
Valley Senior Living is an Equal Opportunity Employer